Friday, March 14, 2008

Religious aspects

So, class the other day got me thinking about what I want to do for my assessment (Obviously. That was the point of the exercise. It’s late, I’m tired...forgive me). Anyway, I think I might want to do a paper on the religious aspects of American Born Chinese. I find mythologies interesting to begin with, and I’m a Christian, so I picked up on all of the Christian references, of course. And I think it’s really interesting how the author brought the two belief systems together and had them interact. The reference of the lion, the ox, the human, and the eagle, for instance, is taken from the book of Revelations – these are the four figures who surround the throne of God in heaven. And the character of Tze-Yo-Tzuh is an obvious reference to the Christian God, but I think (though I don’t know for sure, I’d have to do research), that he is also a traditional Chinese god, too. Oh, and the story of the monk Wong Lai-Tsao was probably my favorite part of the book, and that ended with the birth of Christ (pg. 215). So, I’d really like to do research and explore the relationship between the two traditions and find out more specifically why Yang chose to combine them the way he did.  

No comments: