Wednesday, March 5, 2008

I need to rant for a bit...

I’m finding the moral situation that Light’s character presents difficult to process. Some people online and in class were talking about how they were okay with his original idea, of ridding the world of criminals, but then they didn’t like what it was doing to Light once he put it into practice. But I can’t say that I ever thought it was a good idea – especially at the beginning. Because how messed up did he have to be to just decide that he has the right to pass judgment like that on anyone? It seems to me like he’s grouping all these “criminals” together into some generalized, evil category that refuses to consider circumstances and the ability of a person to change. Not that I’d try to excuse someone from murdering anyone, but...I don’t know. I guess I just don’t understand how Light can believe he has this divine right to pass judgment on others, even if they are criminals, because he can’t know all the circumstances surrounding their individual lives/situations, even if he can access his father’s computer files on them. Because he can’t get the whole story by just looking at their basic police files for a few minutes before he deems that they’re evil enough to be killed off. And then after a while he goes beyond even limiting his killing to criminals, but decides L needs to die just because he is against Light, and he even goes so far as to think about killing his family. He has major issues. And he’s a hypocrite. He just...irks me. But that’s the point, right? He’s supposed to.

No comments: