Saturday, March 1, 2008

Death Note

I really liked this one! I didn’t really know what to expect from a manga comic, but I really, really liked it. I’m going to need to go buy the 2nd volume very soon because I need to know what happens. Some things I noticed while I was reading it – There were a lot of up-close shots of people’s faces (or parts of them), which enhanced their emotions at the time. It made the effect more...intense, I guess is the right word. Even the dialogue bubbles were formatted differently for different people/tones of voice/etc which again made the experience more intense and specific. Even for Ryuk, who doesn’t really have a wide range of emotions, the artist used different shadings (pg. 23) and angles (pg. 29) to articulate his feelings. And speaking of Ryuk...he is possibly the most terrifying-looking thing I’ve ever seen. Ever. But anyway...initial reaction = quite good.

No comments: