Friday, April 18, 2008

The Ending

So, a couple classes ago, someone raised the question of whether or not the ending of Watchmen is “uplifting” or not. And I don’t know how to answer it. I mean, nothing happens. Some might argue that it’s implied that the kid (I have no idea what his name is, nor do I have the book on me to look it up right now) is going to choose Rorschach’s journal, but I don’t think Moore is implying anything – I think the focus is supposed to be on the uncertainty of the entire situation – that everything depends on the choice of an individual – and how that choice balances on the moral center of the person choosing. And we have no idea what this kid’s moral center is, so the reader really can’t assume anything. It’s just as likely that he won’t even get the chance to make the decision – what if he really wanted to use the first thing he picks up? No issues would be raised.

I suppose to go along with the assumption that he does pick it up, I would say it’s not an issue of being positive or negative, even. Scenario 1) He chooses to release the information, and the assumed response to that would be that the “peace” that Ozymandias created is disrupted, right? But what if even this short respite from the tension has let people see how wrong everything had been, and they instead unite in order to take down Ozymandias and leave it at that? It that assumption too hopeful, or ignorant? (I don’t pretend to be a political person at all, so maybe that’s just plain dumb to think). Scenario 2) He is to frightened by the information to do anything about it/hides it/destroys it/etc – the peaceful state would remain, but don’t you think that the responsibility of having that knowledge would be likely to destroy himself as a person? Would he break down years later and release the information then? What would be the consequences of that?


I think perhaps I’m thinking too deeply about this. But aren’t we supposed to? So much hangs in the balance of that one decision that we’re left with…too much, maybe. I guess that’s why I’d rather assume nothing, and take the message as being one of uncertainty.

No comments: