Saturday, February 9, 2008

....et, Trois!

So, I didn’t completely hate X-Men. I swear. Despite the fact that I detested the writing style, I found myself really caught up in the plot. I wanted to keep reading after the last page – and that drawing at the back of the book of what the cover of 138 would have looked like if Jean had lived just teased me more! So, yes, even though, again, the writing was bad, the movement of the plot was well-done.

And, though the way women were portrayed was less than to my taste, I did enjoy the art. I thought that the artist was especially good at using color to his advantage – like on pages 78-79, I liked the red & orange panels with Wolverine, I thought that was particularly effective in matching his violence. The artist uses similar methods throughout in various places, using color to enhance the emotional tone of the scene – another example is early on, on page 11, the first frame of the page. It’s interesting, taking into account that these comics are from the earlier era in comics printing that McCloud talked about, where there were limited colors to work with – but this artist managed to make them really effective.

No comments: